DOWNTOWN POOLS Contact Us Follow Us On YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Follow Us On Facebook

Why Shock




Combined Chlorine <CAC> is hypochlorous acid combined with nitrogen compounds such as ammonia in a very strong bond we call a CHLORAMINES. Chloramines are formed many ways but the most unwanted is when chlorine in your pool tries to destroy "PHOSPHATES" that are in your pool water , the more of one bad thing you have the more the other you get. With this said there should be a tratment in place for phosphate removal if you get chloramines often. Chloramines are very nasty characters and cause the largest single miss-understood problem in private pool water maintenance. They are the source of most eye irritation and mucous membrane irritation in swimmers, not to mention the vexatious and obnoxious "CHLORINE ODOR" complaint we so often hear about. CAC is a bad actor and has no place in a maintained swimming pool. During the swimming season you will have to shock treat and oxidize the ammonia and nitrogen compounds from the water, which you should do every week to ten days.




SHOCKING is the term used to "burn-out" or oxidize all or part of the ammonia combined with chlorine forming chloramines. The addition of 10 to 15 ppm (10 times the approximate daily chlorine use) will sometimes destroy all or part of the chlorimines. Since you do not want to swim in water with this much chlorine, you should use a NON- CHLORINE method to accomplish SHOCKING of the swimming pool. Also using this method allows you to swim immediately after shocking. Downtown Pools carries a product by the name of O2 Shock in stock. NON-Chlorine shock is a complex formula of oxygen bearing and clarifying compounds. NON-Chlorine shock contains no chlorine or calcium, is nonflammable, and does not affect the Ph of pool water. NON-Chlorine shock agglomerates fine organic  particles and minerals for removal by your filtration system. NON-Chlorine shock is an odorless, long lasting oxidizer that oxidizes organic compounds and contaminants that have a chlorine demand. This assures you free, effective chlorine by destroying the compounds that combine with chlorine and cause combined chlorine(chlorimines). These chloramines cause eye burn, unpleasant odors and skin irritation. NON-Chlorine shock contains neither calcium, as found in calcium  hypochlorite <Super Shock IT> or liquid shocks. With NON-Chlorine shock you will not experience the temporary calcium cloudiness nor the salty taste that can sometimes occur after chlorine shock treatments. If you have an indoor pool you should not use chlorine as a shock in any form as this will cause a build up in the water causing a very high amount of eye irritating fumes, Only use an oxidizer shock in a double size dose to remove the chlorine build up a minimum of twice a month.


Types of Shock


Calcium Hypochlorite is a dry "Unstabilized" granular product with a calcium base. It is 65% available chlorine with a Ph of 12 to 13. It is slow dissolving and should be dissolved in a bucket of water prior to adding to the pool. Constant use of a calcium based chlorine will increase the calcium hardness and cause the Ph to climb upward. In the presence of heat and sunlight, it is relatively unstable and precipitates out of the water rapidly.

Sodium Hypochlorite is a "Unstabilized" liquid chlorine used in many large commercial as well as smaller private pools where handling and storage is not a problem. It has 10% to 15% available chlorine with a Ph of 13 to 14. It does not store well in heat or sunlight and should be used as soon as possible after it is manufactured. The best results are obtained when it is fed automatically through a sodium hypochlorite feeder directly into the water lines. When in the pool water, liquid chlorine is adversely affected by sunlight. For this reason it is best if you only use liquid when a well balanced Stabilizer reading is present. This product is sold fresh at 10-12% available chlorine in 2.5 gallon yellow jugs.

 Lithium Hypochlorite is an "Unstabilized" granular fast dissolving material with 35% available chlorine and a Ph of 2 to 3. It is not generally available in all parts of the country and is used primarily as a shock treatment. Most stores do not carry this type of chlorine due to its high cost.

Sodium Dichlor is a "Stabilized" granular chlorine with 56% to 62% available chlorine and a Ph of 7. It is highly resistant to sunlight and heat, thus remaining in water much longer that the previously mentioned chlorine. It can be hand fed as a shock or granular.

O2-Potassium Monopersulfate (Oxygen based treatments) are non-chlorine oxidizers. Oxygen shock treatment is very good at removing excess contaminants and restoring the fighting power of chlorine sanitizers. Oxygen shock is also commonly called "safety shock" because pool bathers may safely return into the water about 15 minutes after treatment. There are no side effects on the pool water..